Software Asset Management (SAM) is a subcategory of IT Asset Management, which encompasses a broader range of procedures (ITAM). SAM is concerned with software management, whereas ITAM is concerned with the management of an organization's whole IT ecosystem.
ServiceNow’s SAM platform delivers a single system of record for identifying cost-cutting opportunities, eliminating resource duplication, improving compliance, mitigating security concerns, and driving uniformity. SAM is also nested within the larger ServiceNow ecosystem, allowing for optimal integration with other ServiceNow modules.
The objectives of Software Asset Management are:
- Make the most of your license.
- Ensure that software licenses are not duplicated.
- Reduce expenditure on software.
- Detect any violations of the license agreement
- Make informed software purchases.